Employment Opportunity: Barn Assistant
Employer: Brendan W. Furlong, M.V.B., Equine Veterinarian, P.A.
Employment start date: Immediate
Employment Status: Full-Time Non-exempt
B.W. Furlong & Associates is an equine veterinary practice headquartered in Oldwick, NJ. The practice employs 14 veterinarians that practice in the Northeast, as well as 2 that practice in Florida and Virginia under the name Peak Performance Equine Services. It is an extremely fast-paced and busy practice, serving and caring for some of the most prestigious clientele in the country. The main practice consists of a full service ambulatory division, as well as a 4 acre facility that houses a full service 12 stall hospital, isolation barn, lab, and advanced imaging capabilities. The practice also has separate properties that include a standing MRI and a rehabilitation center.
All employees are expected to embody Our Values:
Compassionate – Showing genuine concern and empathy for all.
Ethical – Doing the right thing for the patient and client.
Progressive – Forward thinking, growing, and encouraging change and innovation.
Professional – Maintaining composure in the chaos of the equine world.
Knowledgeable – Striving to be competent, skillful, and current in all that we do.
Team Mentality – We support, value, and respect one another.
Accountability – Taking responsibility for our actions and duties.
Honesty – Being genuine and open in all interactions.
Passion – Fully committed in heart, mind, and action.
- Stall Cleaning: mucking out, cleaning and filling feed and water buckets, replacing shavings. Load, drive, and unload a tractor with manure. Stripping and sanitizing stalls for patient turnover.
- Facility Care: keep exterior spaces clean and tidy (sweeping, leaf blowing, basic landscaping), sweeping aisles and cobwebs, wiping down doors and surfaces.
- Animal Care: move patients around as directed via halter and lead rope, hold horses for veterinarians as requested.
- Meticulously track/document completion of tasks
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Background in equine care and barn maintenance
- Comfortable driving a tractor with front end loader
- Ability to work independently
- Good time management
- An outstanding work ethic and self-drive
- Capable of recognizing patient emergency situations
- Capable of heavy lifting up to 100 lbs, including hay bales, feed bags, and muck buckets
- Ability to perform all job duties while standing
Hours are Monday – Friday from 7:00A-4:00P. Additional hours may be available pending satisfactory completion of tasks. Compensation starts at $15/hr. Discounted veterinary services and products also available upon successful completion of the introductory period.
Brendan W. Furlong, M.V.B., Equine Veterinarian, P.A., d/b/a B.W. Furlong & Associates, provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. Equal employment opportunity applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training.
Please submit your cover letter and resume via email to Kim Reitmeyer, Human Resources & Administrative Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At B.W. Furlong & Associates, we are progressive leaders delivering the ultimate in veterinary care to our equine patients and clients in both the hospital and ambulatory setting. We have several associated practices offering exemplary care and services in New Jersey, Florida, and Virginia