Employment Opportunity: Financial Controller
Employer: Rock Lane Management, LLC, d/b/a B.W. Furlong & Associates
Location: Oldwick, NJ (In person with occasional remote flexibility)
Employment start date: Fall 2022
Reports to: Vice-President and President
Who are we?
B.W. Furlong & Associates was founded in 1982 by Dr. Brendan Furlong, and has steadily grown from a one man operation to a practice of 21 clinicians and over 45 support staff and technicians. The practice includes a veterinary hospital, imaging center, surgery center, and rehab center in Oldwick, NJ, an imaging center and office in Wellington, FL, and ambulatory services offered in Oldwick, NJ, Ocala, FL, Wellington, FL, and in other seasonal locations.
We pride ourselves on being progressive leaders who deliver the ultimate in veterinary care; among our 21 clinicians we have 6 specialists in internal medicine, reproduction, sports medicine, and surgery. Similarly, our hospital technicians and assistants have a variety of experience and expertise, in areas including anesthesia, imaging, medicine, and rehabilitation.
As we look to the future of the practice, we are committed to growth and improvement, not just in how we manage patients, but also how we manage our people. We invest in our organization and people, in the forms of continuing education, investments in technology and resources, and the creation of new positions as demands and needs change. We encourage strong relationships through advanced training, team building activities, events, and a culture of open communication.
Where are we?
New Jersey is the east coast’s best kept secret, with our headquarters located in the idyllic countryside of Hunterdon County. The area offers easy access to New York City, Philadelphia, and the Jersey Shore along with hundreds of miles of hiking, biking, and riding trails and endless outdoor activities. Most staff live within a 30 minute drive of the practice and are able to commute without taking major highways. For those raising a family, a number of schools in the area offer award winning school systems.
What will you be doing?
Based on continuous growth of our organization, B.W. Furlong & Associates has recently created the role of Controller. This position will be integrated into the leadership team of the organization, reporting to the Vice-President of Operations and the President of the Company. The Controller will take responsibility for managing the entire finance team, which includes Accounts Payable (2), Accounts Receivable (2-3), and Pharmacy/inventory (2). As the company evolves and places an increased emphasis on investing back into the organization in the form of equipment, staff, and education, it is essential for the company to have improved financial reporting to aid in that decision making. The Controller will take ownership of annual budget creation and revenue modeling/forecasting, and will then work with key decision makers throughout the organization to educate them on budget compliance. Additionally, the Controller will become versed in all financial operations throughout the organization, and look for all opportunities to improve existing protocols and workflows. This role is ideal for someone with a strong professional background in financial controls and has recent experience in leading a team of people toward unified goals. Candidates should have a demonstrated track record of implementing new policies and protocols into an existing organization, and should have robust experience with financial modeling, forecasting, and budgeting. While it is ideal for candidates to have experience working in animal hospitals, or at least familiarity with veterinary revenue streams and expenses, it is not essential. Full responsibilities and qualifications can be found below.
The hospital, based in Oldwick, NJ operates 24/7. Regular weekday business hours are 8am to 5pm. It is anticipated that the daily work schedule may vary based on seasonality and business needs. On average, this position will require 40+ hours per week. This position should anticipate working locally in the NJ office with some flexibility for remote work upon successful completion of the onboarding process.
This is an exempt position with an annual salary of no less than $90,000, commensurate with experience. The total compensation package includes: relocation assistance if necessary, signing bonus, health and welfare benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, a student loan repayment program, 401k with 3% employer contribution, profit sharing, 15 days of Paid Time Off with additional time off for CE, temporary gas stipend, Employee Assistance Program, Long Term Disability insurance, logo wear, and discounted veterinary products and services.
Detailed Responsibilities & Qualifications
- Forecasting & Budgeting
- Implement and prepare annual and project budgets for multiple operating locations/entities
- Assist and educate staff on budget compliance through expenditure scheduling, variance analysis & reporting, and initiating corrective actions when necessary.
- Provides status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data, including profitability analysis and cash management
- Manage all functions of accounting, financial reporting, and cash management, including, but not limited to:
- Monthly bank & credit card reconciliations and closing activities
- Monthly review of Aged Trial Balance with Managers to identify critical accounts
- Daily deposit workflow, including NSF checks, payment processing in Client Management Software (CMS), and internal transfers & journal entries between accounts
- Proper and consistent reporting of intercompany transactions
- Assist HR Manager with necessary reporting for payroll processing (commissions, bonuses, etc)
- Monitor expenses such as utilities and merchant accounts to insure vendor pricing is in compliance with contracts and monitor trends
- Inventory analysis, including purchasing trends, seasonal ordering, and any necessary improvements
- Various tax and business filings and tax work papers including, but not limited to, property tax, sales tax, use tax, tax work papers for federal and state income tax returns, and local business licenses
- Ownership of P&Ls and Balance sheets, including monitoring and tracking fixed assets
- Supervise and support the company’s internal finance team
- Actively recruit, hire, and onboard the right people to the company
- Mentor and lead Finance team through timely performance feedback, skill & goal development, and annual performance review evaluation process
- Monitor and analyze team’s performance to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Build and maintain relationships with the Finance team, fostering an environment of empathy and teamwork
- Escalate significant concerns and issues, along with solutions, to leadership
- Policy Development and Oversight
- Establish/maintain procedures to ensure proper internal controls are in place to effectively mitigate risks and ensure proper and consistent reporting
- Miscellaneous special projects and analyses
- Identify problems and opportunities for improvement and generate creative solutions that improve qualitative and quantitative performance
- Protects operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in finance, accounting, business. Preference for CPA, MBA, or comparable professional certifications
- Minimum 10 years of experience in an accounting/finance environment required, with at least 5 years of progressively responsible financial leadership roles and/or 3 years working in a similar role
- Experience working in an animal hospital or familiarity with veterinary business models is a plus, but not necessary
- Excel mastery, such as INDEX, MATCH, VLOOKUP, Pivot tables, conditional formatting, charts & visualizations, etc
- Extensive experience with Quickbooks and Google Business Suite
- Demonstrated track record of identifying financial areas for improvement and successfully implementing appropriate strategies
- Ability to multi-task and manage competing deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate and manage well at all levels of the organization, including delegating and distributing responsibilities and setting team-wide goals, and educating staff on financial goals and tools
- Strong problem solving and creative skills and the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses and feedback from all relevant parties
- High level of integrity and dependability with strong sense of urgency and results-orientation
- A passion for continuous improvement and personal growth, and an infectious personality to spread that mentality in a positive and healthy manner
Rock Lane Management, LLC, provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. Equal employment opportunity applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training.
Please submit your cover letter and resume via email to Adam Furlong, Vice-President of Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org
At B.W. Furlong & Associates, we are progressive leaders delivering the ultimate in veterinary care to our equine patients and clients in both the hospital and ambulatory setting. We have several associated practices offering exemplary care and services in New Jersey, Florida, and Virginia