An internship at B.W. Furlong & Associates provides a well-rounded experience for individuals interested in pursuing a career in private practice or a residency in internal medicine, ophthalmology, surgery, sports medicine and rehabilitation, or diagnostic imaging. Our internship program is designed to provide 4 highly motivated individuals with in-depth training in lameness, internal medicine, imaging, surgery, rehabilitation, and reproduction, while offering additional experience in ambulatory medicine, sport horse medicine and pleasure horse practice.
Thirteen veterinarians, including Board Certified internists, surgeon, theriogenologist, and sports medicine and rehabilitation, will be mentoring our interns. We place emphasis on developing diagnostic skills using physical examination and clinical laboratory testing, while helping interns become proficient in the use of ancillary diagnostics, such as digital radiography, MRI, and ultrasonography. Interns assume increasing case management, client communication and solo ambulatory responsibilities during the year.
Application requirements consist of:
- Graduation from veterinary school
- A passing score on NAVLE
- The prerequisites necessary to obtain New Jersey licensure
Your application should include:
- A letter of intent
- A curriculum vitae
- A transcript
- Three letters of recommendation
- A current photograph
Please send your application to:
B.W. Furlong & Associates
101 Homestead Road
PO Box 16
Oldwick, NJ 08858
We are happy to offer externship opportunities to 3rd and 4th-year veterinary students from the US and foreign veterinary schools. Externships are required for those considering an internship at B.W. Furlong & Associates. We make an effort to ensure that our externs are able to assist and observe all the veterinarians in our practice. Externs will also spend time with the current interns to gain a solid understanding of the internship program.
To submit an application for an externship, we ask that you provide the following information to email@example.com:
- Current resume
- Proof of liability insurance
- Proof of health insurance
- Proposed date(s) of visit. We cannot accommodate externs for more than 2 weeks, and arrivals must be scheduled for Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. During the months of June, July, and August, we generally can only accept 4th-year students, but 3rd-year students may suggest dates as well. Please identify as many weeks that you are available as possible so we can do our best to accommodate you.