Emergency Coverage Cooperative Announcement
B.W. Furlong & Associates and Mountain Pointe Equine Veterinary Services are pleased to share the development of a rotating Emergency Coverage Cooperative (Co-op) for our NJ practices. The purpose of this Co-op is to improve the mental health and well being of our equine veterinarians, as the frequency and demands of emergency services have contributed to a staffing crisis in the veterinary industry. Less than 1% of students graduating vet school are entering equine medicine, and after three years, half of that 1% have left equine private practice. By creating a professional and collaborative relationship between our practices, this Co-op will maintain the standard of care for our clients while creating a more sustainable lifestyle for our veterinarians.
Beginning January 3, 2022, evening and weekend on-call duties will rotate between veterinarians from each practice, who together average over 12 years of veterinary experience. Our team of veterinarians have a great level of trust in each other, and we are confident our clients will share that trust. This Co-op is not intended to replace your routine veterinarian and/or elective services for clients and patients.
In the event of an emergency:
- Continue to call the emergency line for your routine veterinarian, at which point you will reach the veterinarian on call.
- The veterinarian on call will diagnose, stabilize, treat, triage, consult, or refer horses requiring emergency attention in the same manner as the routine veterinarian.
- Payment for emergency services will be required at the time of service directly to the veterinary practice who provided the services; clients can be provided a verbal estimate prior to the vet’s arrival to the farm if they prefer.
Upon completion of the veterinary services provided, on the following business day:
- The horse’s routine veterinarian will be informed of the situation and treatments provided.
- Medical records of the patient will be transferred to the practice that primarily provides veterinary services.
- Care of the horse will be transferred immediately back to the routine veterinarian.
Please view the Emergency Co-Op coverage radius by clicking here – Co-op Coverage Map
We will host two Q&A Zoom meetings; Wednesday, December 8th, at 7pm, and Monday, December 13th, at 7pm. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and email address to RSVP
We look forward to bringing you this service for many years to come, and to a future of happy and healthy horses and their veterinary practitioners! Thank you all for your support of our growing practices and wonderful veterinarians.
Brendan W. Furlong, President, B.W. Furlong & Associates
Michael N. Fugaro, Owner, Mountain Pointe Equine Veterinary Services
At B.W. Furlong & Associates, we are progressive leaders delivering the ultimate in veterinary care to our equine patients and clients in both the hospital and ambulatory setting. We have several associated practices offering exemplary care and services in New Jersey, Florida, and Virginia