Overnight Hospital Technician
Employment Opportunity: Overnight Hospital Technician
Employer: Brendan W. Furlong, M.V.B., Equine Veterinarian, P.A.
Employment start date: Immediate
Employment Status: Full-Time Non-exempt
B.W. Furlong & Associates is an equine veterinary practice headquartered in Oldwick, NJ. The practice employs 14 veterinarians that practice in the Northeast, as well as 2 that practice in Florida and Virginia under the name Peak Performance Equine Services. It is an extremely fast-paced and busy practice, serving and caring for some of the most prestigious clientele in the country. The main practice consists of a full service ambulatory division, as well as a 4 acre facility that houses a full service 12 stall hospital, isolation barn, lab, and advanced imaging capabilities. It also has separate properties that include a standing MRI and a rehabilitation center.
All employees are expected to embody Our Values:
Compassionate – Showing genuine concern and empathy for all.
Ethical – Doing the right thing for the patient and client.
Progressive – Forward thinking, growing, and encouraging change and innovation.
Professional -Maintaining composure in the chaos of the equine world.
Knowledgeable – Striving to be competent, skillful, and current in all that we do.
Team Mentality – We support, value, and respect one another.
Accountability – Taking responsibility for our actions and duties.
Honesty – Being genuine and open in all interactions.
Passion – Fully committed in heart, mind, and action.
- Provide treatments for hospital cases, including, but not limited to, preparing and administering oral and IV medications, performing physical exams, placing IV catheters, running fluids, changing bandages and assisting with diagnostics.
- Assist veterinarians with any emergency procedures.
- Care for patients, such as feeding and mucking out
- Assist with after-hours emergency admissions
- Record patient treatments and observations in medical records
- Monitor mares & foals (during breeding season), including assisting with foaling, nursing, milking the mares, and handling newborns
- Adhere to all biosecurity protocols, such as correct use of protective gear, proper cleaning and sterilization of instruments and equipment, and appropriate disposal of materials and inventory
- Communicate effectively with veterinarians regarding patient status as instructed
- Sterilize all instruments and equipment
- Run and properly document in-house labs as necessary
- Admit and prep all other samples for testing and analysis
- When necessary, assist with emergency surgeries (eligibility to be determined by surgical staff) – once deemed eligible, may participate as an on-call surgical technician to cover other shifts (additional income and growth opportunity)
- Additional responsibilities as needed
- Excellent horse-handling skills are mandatory, including handling of fractious horses, ability to jog horses in hand, and proficiency in lunging horses
- An outstanding team attitude, work ethic, and desire to learn
- Experience working as a technician or veterinary assistant in an equine hospital is strongly preferred, although we are willing to train someone with an extensive non medical horse background
- Post high-school education in equine studies or veterinary technician license (LVT) is preferred
- Good time management and multitasking skills
- Knowledge of biosecurity and isolation protocols a plus
- Ability to work independently
- Capable of handling patient emergency situations
- Capable of heavy lifting, including hay bales, feed bags, and muck buckets
This position is based in Oldwick, NJ. The shift would be 7:30pm-7:30am for 3-4 days per week. Work days will include weekends and occasional holidays. Minimum weekly shift to include 3 weekday nights and 2 weekends per month with daytime on-call responsibilities and some flexibility required. We anticipate overnight coverage will require approximately 40 hours per week, with the possibility of additional overtime hours during peak periods. Benefits include competitive hourly pay commensurate with experience ($20-$25/hr). Upon satisfactory completion of the introductory period, health and welfare benefits include medical/dental/vision insurance, 401(k), qualifying student loan repayment assistance, and discounted veterinary products and services.
Brendan W. Furlong, M.V.B., Equine Veterinarian, P.A., d/b/a B.W. Furlong & Associates, provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. Equal employment opportunity applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training.
Please submit your cover letter and resume via email to Kim Reitmeyer, Human Resources & Administrative Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
At B.W. Furlong & Associates, we are progressive leaders delivering the ultimate in veterinary care to our equine patients and clients in both the hospital and ambulatory setting. We have several associated practices offering exemplary care and services in New Jersey, Florida, and Virginia